Our slate of online sessions is really ramping up! We’ve already told you about the next one on July 1st – Key Aspects of Writing and Storytelling – but just a week after that we’ll be looking at Killer Concepts – Choosing the Right Ideas on July 8th!
If you missed the deadline for the WriteMovies Sci-Fi and Fantasy Award, there’s no need to travel back in time – we’ve extended the contest for another week, giving you until May 16th to enter!
Want to know what producers want from writers? You’re in luck – that’s exactly what WriteMovies’ Director Ian Kennedy is going to be discussing in a new online session on May 13th. Find out how to work with industry decision-makers and succeed as a professional screenwriter!
The past month in our Industry Diary: It’s been a long year, but we’re always looking to get our scripts pitched to industry. As productions get back on their feet, here’s an update about what we’ve been up to lately:
- One of our winners provided an excellent new draft of his powerful script yesterday, refined following our latest free Development Notes to get it pitch-ready. We’ve immediately sent the script on to Oscar-winning producers who asked to see the new draft once ready. Really excited to see what they think of it!
- I attended the WGGB Open Session discussing the impact of Covid-19 and Brexit has had on the industry, and information and guidance people can receive in the future. I also heard stories from people’s personal projects that were postponed, cancelled, or fortunate enough to be adapted to go ahead during the pandemic.
- Making enquiries through IMDb Pro with potential producers about some of our winners such as END OF THE LINE, RIDING WITH CHARLIE and MAKE THE WEATHER. You can read all about the writers and the scripts in the articles linked.
- We’ve been communicating with our latest winners to get their work pitch ready. All our winners have now received Development Notes from our analysts and are hard at work on new drafts of their scripts. We’ve also been putting together one-page pitches for them, a key tool for us when pitching.
- One of our recent winners is reworking their script into a different format after an expression of interest from one of our contacts, who is looking to pass on sci-fi scripts for an award-winning Hollywood professional to direct. Loglines for all our winners scripts were also sent out to top producers for consideration.
A year ago, we gave you a sneak peek at the industry diary of our director, Ian Kennedy, as he pitched our winners projects in Los Angeles. Now, as we start a new pitching push, we look back at a year like no other and how it’s shaped our plans for the future.
It’s time for our Winter Contest to come to an end with a brand new set of winners! Our deserving Grand Prize winner walks away with $3500, and the top three all receive pitching to industry, script development, and more.
We’re just one week away from the next session in our Online Introduction to Professional Screenwriting Course, which continues with a workshop on First Drafts on Thursday March 25th!