Happy New Year from all the team at WriteMovies! Last year was difficult in a lot of ways, but we’re proud to continue supporting writers – and today, we look back at our winners from 2020 to celebrate their successes. Here’s the WriteMovies Wall of Fame 2020!
All of our winners received script development and pitching to industry from us, with a cash prize for our Grand Prize Winners too! Here’s a reminder of the scripts that took the top spot this year:
- FRANKENSTEIN UNLEASHED by Neal Wiser: A unique take on a classic story, updating it to a dystopian future to expand on the themes of the original; this script captured the current zeitgeist, as well as having strong visuals and a fascinating concept.
- THE BOY ON THE COVER by Elizabeth Savage Sullivan: A dramatic story that explores the ethics of journalists who do whatever it takes to the get the shot, and the impact it has on the lives of the subjects whose faces go viral.
- RIDING WITH CHARLIE by Shintaro Ogai: Based on the real story of a movie icon and his most trusted friend, the winner of our Fall Contest took us all the way back to the silent era for a biopic about Charlie Chaplin’s Japanese-American chauffeur, and the challenges and discrimination he faced.
Congratulations to all of our winning writers who made it onto our Wall of Fame 2020! We’re already hard at work with them, polishing their scripts and pitching them to industry.
If you’d like to see your picture on our Wall of Fame for next year, make sure you submit to our current contests! The Winter 2021 Screenwriting Contest gives you the chance to join our winners slate, with a Grand Prize of $3500 up for grabs. You also get free entry when you submit to our Romance and Comedy Award – the deadline is January 17th!
As we approach the end of 2020, it’s also the end of yet another contest – it’s time to announce the winners of our Fall 2020 Screenwriting Contest! Today’s the day we award our top three with script development, pitching to industry, and more, and also give away our Grand Prize of $3500.
We’re moving towards one of the most exciting times of the year here at WriteMovies, when we get to choose the contest winners we’ll be developing and pitching to industry. After another tough round of judging, we’ve selected the semi-finalists for our Fall 2020 Screenwriting Contest!
After a tough final round of judging, our Summer 2020 Screenwriting Contest comes to an end – and the winners are decided!
The competition is heating up as we announce the Semi-Finalists for our Summer 2020 Screenwriting Contest, taking us a step closer to finding out who the winner is!
Our Quarter-Finals are where we start to narrow down the field and start to see which scripts have the most potential – and that alone always makes them an exciting time for us!
It’s been a great year for us here at WriteMovies, with three successful contests – Winter, Spring, and Fall – producing a lot of great scripts! We’ve also been very proud of our first two genre awards to celebrate great writing: the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Award and the Horror Award.
We’re already hard at work with our winners on developing their scripts and getting them out there to the industry, but today we look back at our contests and reveal our full Wall of Fame for 2019.
Here’s a reminder of our Grand Prize winning scripts…
- PROMISE OF TOMORROW by Andrew Pennington: A fantastic British rom-com that made us laugh out loud from start to finish, capturing our attention with its quirky characters, heartwarming story, and fantastic audience appeal.
- CARAVAGGIO by Alasdair McMullan: Based on the tempestuous life of the Italian painter, this television pilot was as fun as it was fascinating, making the most of its strong concept and engaging main character.
- MONGER by David Axe: The winner of our Horror Award also took the Grand Prize in the Fall Contest. The plot and the monster that haunts the protagonists both feel fresh, and with well-rounded characters we quickly came to care about, it kept the suspense high throughout.
And a special shout out to the first ever winner of our Sci-Fi and Fantasy Award, too: THE TIME-TRAP by Mark Flood! To describe this script as a thrilling ride would be an understatement; it kept us gripped from the first page to the last.
If you’d like the chance to see your name on next year’s wall, submit to our Winter 2020 Contest and Rom-Com Award today – just one week until the Standard Deadline!