Today is a big day in the WriteMovies calendar, as we announce the Quarter-Finalists of our final Grand Prize contest of 2021, with hundreds of writers looking out to see who’s in the running this time via our many platforms.
Because we pitch all our winners’ scripts to top producers, we’re always keeping a finger on the industry’s pulse. But if you want WriteMovies to pitch your work to industry, you’d better move fast – our Spring Contest extension closes this Sunday June 6th, and this will the LAST CHANCE to submit to one of our Grand Prize Contests THIS YEAR!
This is a crucial moment for the movie industry as we start to emerge from the pandemic, cinemas reopen, and audiences (hopefully) flock back into theaters. WriteMovies will be hard at work over the coming months engaging with the industry, so we’re paying close attention to the script sales from April 2021 and you should do the same.
If you really want to make the most of this moment, make sure you enter our Spring Contest. The Grand Prize winner receives $3500, and the top three scripts all receive script development, pitching to industry, and more. Click here to enter!
Missed the deadline for the WriteMovies Spring Contest? Don’t worry! We’ve extended the contest for another two weeks, giving you until June 6th to enter!
If you missed the deadline for the WriteMovies Sci-Fi and Fantasy Award, there’s no need to travel back in time – we’ve extended the contest for another week, giving you until May 16th to enter!
Want to know what producers want from writers? You’re in luck – that’s exactly what WriteMovies’ Director Ian Kennedy is going to be discussing in a new online session on May 13th. Find out how to work with industry decision-makers and succeed as a professional screenwriter!
The past month in our Industry Diary: It’s been a long year, but we’re always looking to get our scripts pitched to industry. As productions get back on their feet, here’s an update about what we’ve been up to lately:
- One of our winners provided an excellent new draft of his powerful script yesterday, refined following our latest free Development Notes to get it pitch-ready. We’ve immediately sent the script on to Oscar-winning producers who asked to see the new draft once ready. Really excited to see what they think of it!
- I attended the WGGB Open Session discussing the impact of Covid-19 and Brexit has had on the industry, and information and guidance people can receive in the future. I also heard stories from people’s personal projects that were postponed, cancelled, or fortunate enough to be adapted to go ahead during the pandemic.
- Making enquiries through IMDb Pro with potential producers about some of our winners such as END OF THE LINE, RIDING WITH CHARLIE and MAKE THE WEATHER. You can read all about the writers and the scripts in the articles linked.
- We’ve been communicating with our latest winners to get their work pitch ready. All our winners have now received Development Notes from our analysts and are hard at work on new drafts of their scripts. We’ve also been putting together one-page pitches for them, a key tool for us when pitching.
- One of our recent winners is reworking their script into a different format after an expression of interest from one of our contacts, who is looking to pass on sci-fi scripts for an award-winning Hollywood professional to direct. Loglines for all our winners scripts were also sent out to top producers for consideration.
We’re halfway through our online Introduction to Professional Screenwriting Course, but it’s never too late to join. The next session in the course is coming up this Thursday, April 29th: Second Drafts!