With Script Pipeline reporting on script sales from June 2020, it’s obvious that the lockdowns haven’t affected screenwriting as much as other sectors of our industry – producers are using this time to find their future projects! Here’s our pick of the news from June 2020.
And don’t forget that we offer guaranteed pitching to industry for ALL our winners, giving you the chance to get your script to these producers.
- Biopics are always popular with filmmakers – for both their story and awards potential – and an interesting one has been picked up by Searchlight. BLACK MOZART tells the story of Chevalier de Sant-Georges, a black composer and fencer from the 18th century.
- Tennis player Arthur Ashe – the only black man to win the singles titles at Wimbledon, the US Open, or Australian Open – will also be getting a biopic. A hugely influential figure in sport, Ashe died of AIDS in 1993.
- Spec horror script THE CULLING, written by Stephen Herman, is set to be directed by David F. Sandberg (ANNABELLE: CREATION, SHAZAM!). There’s always a strong need for horror films, which have a dedicated audience and can usually be made cheaply – check out our Horror Award if you want to take advantage!
- In other horror news, Lee Cronin is set to write and direct a new film in the EVIL DEAD series, acting as a sequel to the 1992 film ARMY OF DARKNESS. Some franchises just refuse to die!
- A new animated film from Disney will be written by Lin-Manuel Miranda (who presumably is writing the music as well!). After his excellent work writing songs for MOANA, we can’t wait to find out more about this new project.
If you want to see the full list of script sales from June 2020, you can see them at Script Pipeline HERE. To enter our Fall 2020 Screenwriting Contest, CLICK HERE – and to enter our Horror Award, CLICK HERE!