In 2016, WriteMovies introduced a special UK Screenwriting Competition as a way to help promote and develop writers within the British film and television industry. For a competition that only had its inception a few months before, we received many entries of a high quality. To everyone who entered, thank you and well done, but there can only be one winner…
Congratulations to Phillip Ramati for winning the UK contest with his script MADAME CAVELL. It was a tough decision, but ultimately MADAME CAVELL and Phillip deserved to win. Phillip now receives a cash prize of £500, a year of free script development and mentoring worth over $3,200, and potential representation within the British industry to studios, producers, and commissioners. CLICK HERE to read more about him and the winning script, which we have already pitched in person to BBC Films, Bankside Films and the BFI.
Congratulations also go out to our Runners-Up:
- Mark Flood for BITING THE BULLET
- Nicholas Horwood for THE DENMARK,
- and Persephone Vandegrift for DEATH OF A MORTAL WOMAN.
These scripts that ran MADAME CAVELL right down to the wire and could have been winners in their own right: though we never promised this originally, we may choose to offer a year of free script development on these scripts to all of those finalists too.
Finally, a shout out to our Semi-Finalists, whose scripts we also really enjoyed:
- Nick Amatuzio for RECTO AND DELILAH (or BEFORE THE CUT),
- Nicholas Horwood for LANDFILL,
- Baljinder Singh Gill & Simon Birks for STICK IN THE SAND,
- Sean-Paul Thomas for THE OLD MAN AND THE PRINCESS,
- Anthony Etherington for EUROPIA,
- Nicholas Boocock for HENRY THE NINTH,
- and Jens Frederik Otto for D-DAY.
Once again, thank you to all who entered and congratulations, once more, to Philip Ramati. CLICK HERE to read more about him and the winning script, which we have already pitched in person to BBC Films, Bankside Films and the BFI.